See More Jobs From Monsanto
Location: - (Woodland, California, West United States, USA)
Open Til: 29-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Crop Protection/Chemicals
Career Type: Researcher/Scientist
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to be part of our Vegetable Trait Integration. This position will be based in our research station in San Juan Bautista, CA. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join a dynamic, diverse team working to identify and introduce valuable new traits in our various vegetable crop platforms.
Improving human health, promoting environmental stewardship and fostering greater economic growth for the agricultural community can all start with something as small as a seed. Monsanto is a global seed & Trait Company, and leader in the development of hybrid agronomic and vegetable crops that improve nutrition, boost crop yields, limit spoilage and reduce the need for chemicals. We are committed to consistently introducing innovative products for our customers, and research is a key component of our current and future product pipeline. At Monsanto, we recognize that people are the key to our research success, and are committed to recruiting and retaining the best individuals through our team-oriented culture that encourages creativity, decision-making, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Oversee greenhouse nurseries including sowing, transplanting, pollinating and harvesting selected materials and requesting and supervising contract labor to perform these activities.
- Oversee population development, including seed organization and tracking, greenhouse plant maintenance and pollinations, and maintaining database inventory records.
- Help to implement and utilize breeding technology tools, and participate in cross functional teams.
- Actively participate in ESH programs on site.
- BS degree in Crop Science, Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Genetics or related field of study
- 5+ years work experience.
- Experience in horticulture, plant genetics, and plant breeding or related field.
- Ability to track and manage projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Familiar with greenhouse work.
- Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access)
- Foresight, agility, detail-orientation and organization are a must.
- Self-motivated creative person that takes initiative and is able to work with minimal supervision.
- MS degree with Crop Science, Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Genetics or related field of study
- Experience with databases.
- Experience in applied plant breeding, experimental design and statistical analysis.
- Experience in characterizing plant phenotypes.
- Experience with molecular marker data for linkage and QTL mapping analysis.