See More Jobs From Land O'Lakes
Location: - (Arden Hills, Minnesota, Mid-West United States, USA)
Company: Land O' Lakes
Open Til: 25-Apr-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Dairy
Career Type: Economist
Job Type: Internship/Summer Work Experience
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Dairy Economist Intern
Job Description Print Preview
Job Title:Dairy Economist Intern
Territory (if applicable):
Business Unit:Land O'Lakes Dairy Foods division is a leading marketer of a full line of dairy-based consumer, foodservice and food ingredient products across the United States.
Position Purpose:1) Assisting in the analysis of new or proposed changes to federal dairy policy including the federal milk marketing order and the various components of the Foundation for the Future.
2) Conducting a comprehensive analysis of opportunities for Land O'Lakes's dairy members to adopt sustainable practices related to energy usage on their farms. More specifically, the intern would be responsible for gathering information on:
a. The status of methane digesters on dairy farms in the Land O'Lakes' dairy regions;
b. The economic feasibility of constructing new methane digesters on dairy farms in Land O'Lakes' dairy regions;
c. The sources of technical and financial resources to assist Land O'Lakes dairy farmer members in constructing new methane digesters.
3) Assisting the Director in recurring monthly duties related to maximizing the value of participating in federal milk marketing orders.
4) Updating spreadsheets with current economic and market data and preparing materials for presentations at meetings of Land O'Lakes' dairy members, staff and customers (e.g., milk production specialists', Mid-Year meeting, etc.)
5) Participate in Land O'Lakes' milk procurement meetings and Land O'Lakes Sustainability Council meetings.
6) Create data base and inventory of international dairy data including farm milk prices, costs of milk production, domestic milk marketing policies, sources of dairy market data, etc.
Required (Basic) Experience & Education:Experience conducting applied economic research; knowledge of farm related issues including financial and energy management; and acquainted with sources of agricultural data.
Graduate work towards degree in applied economics or closely related field.
Required Competencies & Other Skills:Familiarity with market research techniques, quantitative economic analysis, agricultural policy; competency with economic and statistical programs/methods.
Preferred Experience & Education:
Preferred Competencies & Other Skills:
Percentage of Travel:10%
Land O'Lakes, Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, retirement savings account, tuition reimbursement, PTO, paid holidays, and employee development opportunities. Land O'Lakes, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Land O'Lakes,Inc. enforces a policy of maintaining a drug-free workforce, including pre-employment substance abuse testing.