See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Greens Bayou, Texas, South-West United States, USA)
Open Til: 02-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Division: Crop Protection
Function: Supply Chain
City: Greens Bayou
State/Province: Texas [TX]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Quality Manager
Job ID: 2676
Responsible for overall management of site's quality program and for implementing quality control laboratory activities and site's product quality requirements for raw materials and finished goods. Responsible for providing sound data for site production and for supporting site operations and providing technical guidance to ensure all production meets specifications taking full part in resolving issues with their chemistry and quality knowledge. Interact with production customers as well as key people outside of the lab (Production and Supply, NA Quality Leads, Customer Service, Analytical and Formulation Groups in GSO, and regulatory agencies as needed.) Responsible for ensuring existing equipment and technology is well maintained and also for leadership and coaching of laboratory personnel for continuous improvements to advance laboratory and site capabilities.
- Provide accurate, useful, on-time data relating to plant production and assist site personnel to ensure product specifications are met while promoting efficient flow of production through the units.
- Directly supervise QA/QC department employees consisting of 5 technicians.
- Responsible for effective utilization of lab equipment and processes. Manage an annual lab supply budget and ultimately the QC of annual plant production.
- Within company standards and government guidelines, establish and maintain quality assurance and inspection techniques, practices and procedures for maintenance of acceptable quality standards for incoming materials, work-in-process and finished products.
- Function as the site lead for product complaint resolution, process change requests, and quality impacts of management of change.
- Recommend disposition of returned or sub-quality products with respect to reprocessing, sale, or scrapping.
- Provide QC expertise to define quality initiatives & requirements through involvement in quality organizations, programs, networking with other QC/Quality professionals, and through select seminars within the area.
- Positively lead and be an integral part in defining what analysis needs to be conducted to have robust processes and interpretation of data in context of problem solving and improving site effectiveness.
- Provide and implement developmental plans for all direct laboratory personnel.
- Provides skills and training required for laboratory personnel to analyze processes and to ensure their knowledge of equipment and technology will meet the business needs and goals.
- Coordinate with other functional managers to assure that goals and means are aligned with efforts of other groups.
- Identify opportunities for product quality improvements and advise Operations Manager and production unit supervision of approach in order to realize identified changes and improvements using statistical tools as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain communications with suppliers to ensure acceptable quality materials.
- Monitor and consult on the disposition of waste water streams including storm water, process waste and discharges from on-site treatment system to meet federal, state & local regulations.
- Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Setting up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it.
- Effective communications; Energy and self motivation; Inspiring commitment from others; ability to build trust; knowledge of the business; embracing and coaching for improvements and needed changes
- Meeting customers' needs; coaching for performance of Lab personnel; implementing strategic goals within QC Lab activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Minimum BS degree in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering (Advanced degree preferred) with 2+ years laboratory management experience at a production facility preferred.
- Knowledge of interviewing, coaching of employees and others, along with facilitations skills are required.
- Ability to set and prioritize goals and strategies and ability to provide a solid rationale for selection of improvement opportunities is important.
- Integration of the QC Lab into site teams for determination of root causes to quality deviations will be needed.
- Experience as a Quality Control chemist in a manufacturing plant environment, along with previous supervisory experience.
- Experience with GC, HPLC, Mass Spectrometer, AA, X-ray diffraction and Particle Size Analyzer.
- Experience with quality assurance processes.
- SPC/Lean/6 Sigma experience preferred.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Knowledge of laboratory related computer systems, PC-based software, and quality management systems are required. Knowledge of analytical methods, procedures, and instrumentation pertaining to the chromatographic sciences would be helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong problem solving skills, analytical thinking, and customer-focus are needed. Good written and oral communication skills are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a fast pace environment, multitask, and work through stressful situations.
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Assurance practices.
- Ability to work as a team player to resolve issues in the lab or within the plant, along with the ability to prepare and manage a budget is required. Incumbent must be able to work within broad guidelines provided by plant management and have ability to determine best means to achieve QC Laboratory goals in conjunction with goals and strategies of the site.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Customer orientation
- Facilitating change
- Developing others
- Building partnerships
- Setting work standards
- Action Orientated
- Self Development
- Drive for results
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Motivating Others
Drive , Agility, Capability and Synergy.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment and support production requirements of multiple production units simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze a problem or situation and recommend solution or method of solving the problem is essential.
- Innovation in working through different situations.
- Ensure the quality of p