See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (USWM - Kekaha, Hawaii, West United States, USA)
Open Til: 04-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Division: Corn & Soya
Function: Research & Product Development
City: USWM - Kekaha
State/Province: Hawaii [HI]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Field Technician 1
Job ID: 2742
In a highly team-oriented environment the Agronomy Field Technician 1 will work under the direction of the Research Associate 3 (Irrigation) for daily irrigation operations. The Agronomy Irrigation Field Technician will lead crews and execute all functions related to proper care and plant health associated with irrigation for row crops grown on-site.
Follow direction, schedules and timelines as directed from Irrigation Lead. The duties are but not inclusive to drip irrigation hook up, operation of electric and diesel pumps, maintenance of filters, media and infrastructure, pipe repair, volunteer monitoring, drip removal, inventory of parts and supplies, liquid and granular fertilizer application. Document processes, complete records for stewardship compliance, daily reporting to Irrigation Lead on status updates.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: Knowledge, experience & capabilities
Critical knowledge: : Basic knowledge of field crops. Operation of farm tractors and equipment. Agronomic activities involving row crop planting, backpack agri-chem applications, irrigation hook-up, drip pipe removal.
- 1-2 years work experience preferred in the field of agriculture or with heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of farm operations and equipment preferred.
- The successful candidate will also demonstrate a desire to learn and improve in field.
- The ability to function effectively as a member within the irrigation team as well as the ability to develop skills to assist other teams within the Agronomy department.
- The ideal candidate will also be flexible, adaptable and safety-oriented.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Ability to establish priorities and to be proactive in tasks within areas of responsibility.
- Have or develop team building and interpersonal skills, especially those required to successfully function as part of a cross-functional team.
- Excellent organizational, planning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to understand, communicate and execute complex instructions.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- The Agronomy/Cultural group is responsible for the often unique crop care needs of a large number of Hawaii, mainland and international stakeholders and therefore must be committed and responsive to customer needs.
Hawaii operations are critical to the success of research and supply chain projects. Crop Care practices must therefore be effective, safe, reliable and consistent to achieve the delivery of target seed quantities.
Team orientation is critical as this role supports all functional groups at the Syngenta Kekaha site and requires frequent interaction with other members of the cultural team.
There is a great deal of opportunity to improve the way in which we produce seed in Hawaii. This position requires a commitment to seeking out and evaluating alternatives that will allow greater productivity and efficiency.
- Sets ambitious strategic goals
- Communicates inspirationally
- Steps beyond comfort zones
- Fosters a culture of creativity and innovation
- Focuses energy on must-wins
- Manages performance to high standard
- Develop self and others
- Recognizes and celebrates success
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges: Critical success factors & key challenges:
Timely operational execution to promote healthy crops in a tropical environment with diverse soils and growing conditions.
- A minimum of two years in current position is required (requirement for internal applicants only)
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to walk long distances for in field planting.
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Must be able to work long hours in the heat, dust, rain and sun.