See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Longmont, Colorado, West United States, USA)
Open Til: 07-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
State/Province: Colorado [CO]
Position Title: Sugarbeet Breeder/Plant Scientist
Job ID: 2362
- Initiates, directs and executes scientific research and/or development strategies to create profitable products.
- Initiates, directs and executes scientific research and/or development strategies to strengthen pipeline of assigned species.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems in the enhancement of Syngenta's product offering and intellectual property position.
- Develop and maintain excellent internal and external customer relationships.
- Develop and manage program personnel and budget.
- Develop and coordinate the inbred line development in the conversion program for endosperm type.
- Develop, conduct and evaluate disease screening activities.
- Create innovative products via input and output traits not currently found in or at low or limited frequency in present breeding programs or in the marketplace.
- Act as spokesperson on corporate research and development.
- Demonstrates success in technical proficiency, scientific creatively, collaboration with others and independent thoughts.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance or supervision non-exempt or professional personnel.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- MS required
- PhD preferred
- Knowledge of plant breeding, biotechnology statistics and agriculture.
- Knowledge of plant pathology.
Level I -
- For PhD - requires 0-2 year's related experience.
- For MS - requires 4-6 years related experience.
- Supervisory experience.
Level II -
- For PhD - requires 2-5 years related experience.
- For MS - requires 6-8 years related experience .Supervisory experience.
Level III -
- For PhD - requires 5-8 years related experience.
- For MS - requires 8-10 years related experience.
- Management experience.
Level IV -
- Requires 8+2 years related experience.
- Advanced management experience.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Professionalism including creation of an ethical, highly communicative and transparent, results oriented environment within the development team within Syngenta.
- Maintains broad knowledge of state of the art principles and theories.
- Ability to interact with people in a respectful, cooperative but assertive manner resulting in the achievement of program and company goals.
- Tenacity and independent decision-making ability to make the proper decisions that will result in increased profitability.
- Imaginative insight in the development of creative strategies and new practices while challenging the conventional practices.
- Demonstrate professional stewardship of germplasm.
- Maintain safe working conditions. At all times, conduct work personally and for those supervised with the utmost of worker safety in mind.
- Set and maintain high work standards for self and those supervised for efficiency and accountability for action as performed.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Be Decisive
- Build Trust
- Know the Business
- Achieve Goals
- Communicate Effectively
- Promote Teamwork
- Encourage Innovation
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Ability to innovate in the breeding processes.
- Assist in the development of statistics that address the real underlying data needs to convince customers of product value.
- Demonstrate increased crop profitability potential by capturing value traditionally and/or through innovative downstream activities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: May be required to lift up to 40 lbs.
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Conditions are often dirty, dusty, and hot in combination with noisy equipment. Potential allergens-pollen, fungal spores, chemical pesticides in field or greenhouse. Exposure to high and low temperatures, sun, rain, and dust. Significant domestic and international travel throughout key markets required.