See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Vero Beach, Florida, South United States, USA)
Open Til: 11-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Division: Crop Protection
Function: Research & Product Development
City: Vero Beach
State/Province: Florida [FL]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: R&D Group Leader 1
Job ID: 2749
To provide effective leadership and direction in order to build and maintain a highly motivated weed control group at the Vero Beach Research Center (VBRC). Design, initiate, and conduct research projects including lab, greenhouse and field studies for Weed Control. Complete assigned research projects as a critical part of promoting new active ingredients, HTC traits, and off-season support for development and commercial products. Act as project coordinator for assigned projects. Provide technology foresight and contribute to product intelligence toward creating a competitive advantage.
- Provide leadership to weed control group members; motivate, coach, and assign research activities. Promote operational excellence and optimization of assets through management of group budget and equipment.
- Plan and complete all research programs, special problem solving projects, and off-season support activities.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to add value to products in the market place. Lead and conduct research and development of new active ingredients and HTC traits.
- Seek project requests from all internal customers, prioritize and balance the workload of the group in line with company priorities
- Develop trial methodology and protocols, interpret results, and provide recommendations for further work or product uses
- Provide support to the Sales team in the form of tech info, training, and presentations. Conduct problem solving projects to address market issues
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of grower needs and perspectives and their relationship to Syngenta activities
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- In depth knowledge of the products, weeds, crops, markets, and methods of research associated with weed control.
- Broad knowledge of weed control technologies, herbicide modes of action, and resistance management.
- Recognized expertise in area of specialty.
- Sufficient knowledge of the business to make and communicate project priorities.
- Ph.D. degree in Weed Science or in an agriculture related science with extensive herbicide development experience in field, greenhouse, and lab settings.
- Experience in leading diverse groups toward common goals preferred.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication and computer skills.
- Ability to foster teamwork and balance workload/resources within the group.
- Strong planning, organizing, and problem solving skills.
- Particularly skilled in interacting and communicating with internal and external customers.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges: Critical success factors & key challenges
- Understanding of the Syngenta portfolio, ability to innovate around developmental projects obstacles and sales support needs that the VBRC can uniquely address.
- Develop an effective network of internal and external contacts to maximize the value of the group and it's ability to problem solve.
- Demonstrate a cooperative style that facilitates working across many functional interfaces
- Travel Requirements - 25-35%
- Two years current position preferred. Candidates who have been in their current position a minimum of one year will be considered if they have the approval of their current business unit leader and hiring business unit leader.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.