See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Durahm, North Carolina, South United States, USA)
Open Til: 11-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Function: Trait Research
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Sr. Lead, Predictive Breeding
Job ID: 2840
- The primary duty of the Sr. Lead, Predictive Breeding is to lead the generation and summarization of trait specific genetic information and ensure its availability for all genetic information-based applications across all crops. This position is responsible for furthering Syngenta's capabilities of extracting and applying knowledge from exceedingly large and diverse biological, genetic, and environmental data-sets. The Sr. Lead, Predictive Breeding enables the generation and distribution of readily applicable trait-specific genetic information ultimately resulting in improved performance of Syngenta's product offerings for the commercial agricultural market.
(1) independently manage and lead research projects in plant breeding and plant genetics across multiple crops (2) conduct research using large molecular marker data-sets and phenotypic data-sets
(3) work with large data-sets, developing and implementing novel methods to identify candidate gene / QTL leads from several different projects simultaneously, including developing methods for multiple-trait Quantitative Trait Locus mapping with incomplete phenotypic data
(4) analyze large data-sets from breeding projects and present results to peers and stakeholders
(5) test and assess new statistical analysis methods for continuous improvement of existing breeding practices
(6) communicate effectively to plant breeders and computational biologists and translate biological research needs into computational problems
(7) design and analyze complicated regional trials for testing, evaluating and releasing new plant cultivars to the market
(8) cooperatively develop, implement, and sustain a comprehensive data mining (descriptive and predictive modeling) strategy relative to marker/trait association studies across all the Company's field crops including corn, soy, vegetables, wheat, and rice, among others
(9) supervise and manage the work of two or more subordinate scientists
This position will also develop and apply statistical methods and computing tools utilizing the following technology: Java, MATLAB, R and SAS for analysis of large genetic and breeding data-sets.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Position requires a Ph.D. Degree or equivalent in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Agronomy, or a related field, plus three (3) years of related experience.
Experience must include three (3) years experience, which may be concurrent, in each of the following: 1) independently managing and leading research projects in plant breeding and plant genetics across multiple crops; and 2) designing and analyzing complicated regional trials for testing, evaluating and releasing new plant cultivars to the market.
Experience must also include one (1) year experience, which may be concurrent, in each of the following: 1) developing and applying statistical methods and computing tools utilizing at least two of the following: Java, MATLAB, R or SAS to analyze large genetic and breeding data-sets; and 2) developing a method for multiple-trait Quantitative Trait Locus mapping.
All experience may be gained concurrently and may have been gained before, during or after completion of the Ph.D. Degree program. Employer will accept any suitable combination of education or experience as described above.