See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Greensboro, North Carolina, South United States, USA)
Open Til: 17-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Division: Crop Protection
Function: Legal / Licensing / IP
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Litigation Counsel
Job ID: 2757
- Provides legal advice and management of litigation and legal claims for the US Crop Protection and Seeds businesses. Manages docket of product liability, general liability, product performance and other litigation and arbitrations as assigned by the Senior Litigation Counsel. Provides proactive advice and counseling to the business to help avoid potential claims and litigation and to assist with risk management on matters as assigned by the Senior Litigation Counsel. Coordinates with Insurance Department in ensuring the recovery of applicable insurance proceeds. Helps ensure development and implementation of good litigation practices including discovery, litigation hold and similar litigation related processes.
- Provides legal advice and management of litigation, arbitrations, and legal claims for the US Crop Protection and Seeds businesses across the US. Develops expertise in Seeds Act arbitrations and manages these and other Seeds business claims and litigations as assigned.
- Manages docket of product liability, general liability, product performance and other litigation and arbitrations as assigned by the Senior Litigation Counsel.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Litigation Counsel, helps ensure development and implementation of good litigation practices including discovery, litigation hold and similar litigation related processes.
- Proactively engages with business units and functional groups to provide advice and counseling on risk management and to assist in connection with potential liability assessments and claims.
- Manages outside counsel and their fees.
- Coordinates insurance recoveries and litigation with insurance companies.
- Maintains strong knowledge of product liability and tort law and seed arbitration act requirements.
- Provides support or manages other litigation matters including patent and antitrust litigation
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: Knowledge, experience & capabilities
Critical knowledge: : - JD degree and admission to bar; strong litigation knowledge; strong knowledge of litigation procedures and strategies; and knowledge of substantive tort and product liability law
- 4+ years' legal experience in a law firm with a litigation and trial practice, particularly product liability and general liability litigation
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong analytical and strategic thinking and analysis; excellent interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills; organizational skills; strong business orientation
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Strong ability to set direction and deliver and manage performance at a high level
- Must be able to collaborate across boundaries effectively
- Must have excellent communication skills
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges: Critical success factors & key challenges
- Strong understanding of litigation trends and developing law.
- Work well with clients to assess potential liability and to provide advice and counseling to manage risk and protect company assets
- Careful and effective management of outside counsel and expenses
- Good understanding of Syngenta businesses, products and operations and law related to seed, traits and crop protection products
- Effective management of litigation docket as assigned
- Travel Requirements - Travel may be required in connection with attending trials and meeting with outside counsel, and other matters.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.