See More Jobs From Cargill
Location: - (Amarillo, Texas, South-West United States, USA)
Company: Cargill, Inc
Open Til: 02-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: General
Career Type: Operator
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
I choose Opportunity. Whatever job you're looking for, you can probably find it at Cargill. Our diverse partnerships across a variety of industries mean countless career opportunities for you. It's your choice. It's your future. And you can make it happen at Cargill.
Cargill is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Founded in 1865, the privately held company employs 131,000 people in 66 countries. Cargill helps customers succeed through collaboration and innovation, and is committed to applying its global knowledge and experience to help meet economic, environmental and social challenges wherever it does business. For more information, visit www.cargill.com.
Cargill's meat business, headquartered in Wichita, KS, is comprised of Cargill Beef, Pork, Food Distribution, Case Ready, Regional Beef, Value Added Meats Food Service, Value Added Meats Retail and Cargill Cattle Feeders. We employ approximately 35,000 worldwide and have processing facilities and sales offices in the US, Canada, and Australia, and international business offices in Australia, China, Honduras, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.
Cargill Pork's commitment to providing the best, most wholesome pork products for our customers and consumers has been founded in industry-leading animal welfare and processing practices as well as innovation in our product and brand offerings. We are proud to partner and serve esteemed brands like Excel® fresh meats, Good Nature™ pork, Sterling Silver® premium meats, Rumba® meats and Tender Choice® pork for a multitude of commercial, retail and foodservice customers. Together as Cargill Pork, we create potential for customers and communities.
Cargill has an exciting opportunity for a Farm Manager in Dalhart, TX. This position is responsible for managing the total operation of the sow farm consisting of 3,150 to 8,300 sows.
- 30% - Manage all activities/processes related to farm management. Schedule and perform according to Cargill's standard operating procedures and policies. Manage the financial performance by controlling costs, maximizing throughput and avoiding waste.
- 25% - Ensure that farms have strong leadership. Ensure farm staff is properly trained, developed, challenged and counseled when necessary. Provide information, training and resources to allow all staff to perform their duties legally and according to established Best Management Practices and meet expected production, environmental, animal welfare, heard health and safety requirements. Ensure that records are monitored, maintained and reported on a timely basis.
- 15% - Establish production goals, monitor progress and communicate expectations to supervisor and direct reports.
- 15% - Establish and maintain effective communication with farm staff, management and other departments to anticipate challenges and opportunities.
- 5% - Work with Human Resources to manage: hiring process; employee relationships; employee discipline; and communicate changes in farm staff
- 5% - Work with EHS manager to properly train and audit the farms to ensure the buildings, equipment, machinery and processes are safe and operating in accordance with Cargill safety guidelines.
- 5% - Monitor the appearance of buildings and grounds are neat, clean and orderly at all times.
- 2 year Associate's degree from an accredited college or 5 years industry experience
- 3 years experience in sow production
- 2 years supervisory experience
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions independently
- Ability to effectively lead a team
- Less than 5% travel required
- Required to live within 45 minutes of main office.
- BS in animal science or agricultural business
- Previous experience managing large sow herds
- Capable of delivering innovation