See More Jobs From AgResearch
Location: - (Hamilton, North Island, New Zealand)
Company: AgResearch Limited
Open Til: 30-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Government/Industry Groups
Industry Type: Environment
Career Type: Specialist
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
AgResearch is a global leader in developing integrated and novel solutions for agriculture and the environment that are important to New Zealand’s future. Our goal is to provide scientific leadership to the pastoral sector to support sustainable and prosperous farming in NZ. This new appointment provides:
- Excellent opportunity to join a dynamic, multidisciplinary team of internationally recognised scientists.
- Great scope for career progression.
The OVERSEER® Nutrient Budgets model (Overseer)
AgResearch leads the development of Overseer on behalf of the three owners MAF, Fert Research and AgResearch. This decision support software underpins the development of nutrient management plans and so continues to be a key tool to assist farmers, consultants and central and local government manage the sustainable use of nutrients. Overseer is an ideal tool for delivering science to benefit end-users.
AgResearch internal investment has created an exciting three year fixed-term opportunity for a recent Doctorial graduate scientist to contribute to the underpinning science for the continued development of Overseer.
Your role will be as an experimenter, leading field investigations to improve the scientific understanding and the ability to model within Overseer a key aspect of the pastoral farming system: nitrogen immobilisation within pasture soils. You will work with scientists in the Overseer team, so ensuring that investigations remain relevant to model development.
For this role you will possess the following:
- In-depth knowledge of nitrogen cycling, ideally in pasture based systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of New Zealand farming systems.
- Experience of working with 15N tracer studies is desirable.
- Knowledge of farm systems and application of systems thinking.
- A sound capability in computer usage.
- Ability to work with computer simulation models is desirable.
- An understanding of research trial design, data collection, analysis and interpretation.
Some understanding of Overseer is desirable but not critical as training will be provided.
The AgResearch Ruakura campus offers social and sporting facilities, crèche facilities, free parking and is situated in pleasant rural surroundings minutes from central Hamilton.
AgResearch is an Equal Opportunities Employer who offers excellent working conditions, ongoing support, superb training and professional development.
For more information please call Dave Houlbrooke on 07 838 5213 or visit our career site www.agresearch.co.nz/careers