See More Jobs From AgResearch
Location: - (Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand)
Company: AgResearch Limited
Open Til: 19-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: IT
Career Type: Researcher/Scientist
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Salary: not stated
Send This Job To A Friend
Vacancy ref: AGR1388
AgResearch Ltd is a Crown Research Institute with the core purpose of enhancing the value, productivity and profitability of New Zealand's pastoral, agri-food and agri-technology sector to contribute to economic growth and beneficial environmental and social outcomes for New Zealand.
We have a permanent position for a Research Associate to support our systems modelling capability in the Land & Environment Group based in either Palmerston North - or Lincoln. You will be contributing to the development, maintenance and application of a range of models and databases in the context of agricultural systems research.
To be successful in this role you should have:
- A tertiary qualification in information technology or in a biological science with strong IT experience.
- The ability to work simultaneously on a range of projects with different people and negotiate task priorities in the context of a varying workload.
- Demonstrated competence in at least two of VB.NET, C#, Python, or SQL as well as the MS Office Suite.
- Demonstrated competence in developing tools to assemble and manipulate XML and other text documents.
- The ability to learn new techniques (expanding domain expertise) without on-site assistance.
In addition, the following attributes will be valuable in this role:
- Experience in managing Condor flocks and/or other cloud computing techniques.
- Competence in Fortran, Java and/or other languages.
- Familiarity with agricultural systems, spatial modelling or modelling biological systems.
- Experience in designing and developing production-quality software.
- Experience in working within a continuous integration (version control with automated building and testing) environment.
- Experience in developing or using software for storing and analysing large datasets.
- Experience in using geo-statistical tools in GIS (particularly ArcGIS).
AgResearch will provide you with a dynamic and friendly workplace. We offer an excellent and flexible working environment, ongoing support and superb training and professional development opportunities.
For more information please call Kim Cole on 07 838 5112 or visit our career site.
Applications close 23 March 2012.