See More Jobs From Cargill
Location: - (Idaho Falls, Idaho, West United States, USA)
Company: Cargill, Inc
Open Til: 27-Apr-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: General
Career Type: Researcher/Scientist
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Cargill Canola Oils develops, produces and markets high-performance canola oils. Our business is backed by an intellectual property position in the genetic engineering of canola, and by a leading team of molecular biologists specializing in oil modification.
We develop proprietary planting seeds, contract with growers in Canada and crush and refine canola into premium oils sold to food processors and the food service industry, as well as to other organizations for inedible uses. Limited amounts of high oleic sunflower oil are also produced by our Specialty Canola Oils group.
We support canola farmers not only by providing premier hybrid seeds that generate high yields, but also by offering unique financial tools that help minimize their risk and increase their profits.
The Seed Agronomist position is responsible for overseeing all activities associated with the production of certified hybrid canola seed as well as provide support to US field trials related to project work.
The Seed Agronomist works under the guidance of the Senior Agronomist in the production of certified hybrid canola seed. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to; field selection, contracting, providing agronomic support to growers throughout the season, field scouting, quality assurance, data collection and providing production reports to both internal and external partners. The Agronomist will also provide support to the Senior Agronomist in overseeing field trials located throughout the United States.
- 35% Manage field selection, contract with growers and provide agronomic support to all aspects of hybrid canola seed production from planting through harvest.
- 30% Scout hybrid production fields for weeds, insects, and disease as well as manage the quality assurance of seed in area of responsibility and maintain accurate field records.
- 20% In coordination with the Sr. Agronomist; assist in the successful development and execution of field research trials and nursery seed production throughout the US relating to project Dolphin.
- 10% Assist Parent Seed as needed and support other various collaboration projects such as high beta-glucan barley production and Integrow agronomy support.
- 5% Assist in the contra-season production of parent and certified hybrid canola seed in Chile.
- Bachelor Degree in Agriculture or related field
- 2+ growing seasons work experience in seed production or related production agriculture
- Knowledge of hybrid seed or general seed production techniques, industry topics
- General knowledge of canola and other rotational crops produced in Eastern Idaho
- Familiar with Microsoft software
- Travel required to support contra season production in Chile and field trials in the United States
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs on an occasional basis
- Valid drivers license
- Master’s Degree
- Experience in certified hybrid canola seed production
- Five or more years experience in agriculture related field
- Small plot or nursery management experience
- Strong knowledge of canola and hybrid seed production techniques
- Certified Crop Adviser certification
- Idaho Professional Applicator’s license
- Fluent in Spanish - written and verbal