See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (St, Gabriel, Louisiana, South United States, USA)
Open Til: 12-Mar-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Division: Production & Supply
Function: Plant Maintenance & Operations
City: St, Gabriel
State/Province: Louisiana [LA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Maintenance Engineering Intern Co-op
Job ID: 2824
Gain technical training and orientation in mechanical engineering by contributing to solutions of a wide variety of mechanical problems through on-the-job involvement of site maintenance activities. Troubleshoot and resolve routine and problematic mechanical deficiencies through independent investigation, collaborative problem solving, and solution development. Scope and execute small capital projects. Insure installed equipment meets site standards and perform documentation updates.
* Assist in the safe and efficient installation, maintenance, and improvement of process equipment for the St. Gabriel site
* Understand basic maintenance processes & systems used to plan, schedule and execute work.
* Interact with production unit personnel to resolve equipment issues.
* Participate in rebuild of shop repair work on pumps, compressors, blowers, gearboxes, etc.
* Learn and apply skills in precision measurement
* Participate individually or as a team member to promote safety.
* Perform hydraulic calculations for pump reliability and analysis.
* Perform equipment design calculations.
* Utilize drafting software to maintain and update manufacturing drawings for site central repair facility.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
* Understand basic mechanical systems & processes.
* Some CAD/drafting exposure is preferred.
* Able to use problem solving techniques
* Mechanical Engineering (preferred) or Electrical Engineering student
* Relevant core mechanical courses advised (i.e. statics, Physics I & II, calculus, & materials science).
* Minimum GPA required - 2.5
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
* Minimum commitment of 3 full semesters preferably having 2 being consecutive.
* Full Fall and/or Spring semesters required
* Summer employment may be available, but does not meet the semester commitment requirement
* Good interpersonal and communication skills
* Ability to manage changing roles and responsibilities
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
* Knowledge and understanding of mechanical fundamentals, principles, and theory.
* Capability to perform and use troubleshooting techniques.
* Learn to use engineering documentation systems such as P&ID's and management of change and documents such as procedures and operating manuals.
* Able to adapt to changing technology and identify new applications.
* Able to communicate effectively at various organizational and departmental levels.