See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Durham, North Carolina, South United States, USA)
Open Til: 20-Apr-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Function: Research & Product Development
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Team Leader, Agronomic Traits
Job ID: 2714
- Lead a discovery team in the Agronomic Traits (AT) research area that advances a pipeline of novel product concepts. In this context, AT includes programs such as abiotic stresses (drought, heat, etc) and crop yield.
- Manage a team through performance management, coaching and development of team members.
- Manage and allocate resources across multiple projects.
- Support the development of new inventions and intellectual property.
- Provide technical knowledge to build a balanced program in AT discovery research that includes both internal and external sources.
- Develop a culture of continuous improvement that maximizes efficient product delivery.
- Provide scientific and technical expertise to projects and communicate well with team members and collaborators.
- Allocate team resources to maximize project delivery.
- Provide stakeholder management across multiple projects.
- Through interaction with other science groups (Bioinformatics, Lead Validation, Omics) build a sustainable pipeline of AT product concepts with commercial potential.
- Provide leadership, direction and management of the AT Discovery Team.
- Through interaction with the AT leadership team, other scientists and associated teams (such as TSI) develop, scout, evaluate and manage research collaborations with third parties in the area of AT.
- Perform all activities in accordance with the Syngenta Health, Safety, Environmental Policy and Quality Management/Stewardship guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Ph.D. or equivalent in plant genetics, molecular biology or related field, and 6+ years professional experience in the area of AT.
- Strategies for lead generation in agronomic traits.
- Strategies for development of intellectual property.
- Project and portfolio management knowledge to cope with a matrixed organization (cross-functional, cross-sites, cross-business) and technical environment.
- Demonstrated success in leading a complex results-oriented research team requiring scientific creativity, innovative thinking, organization and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in communicating, planning and coordinating group activities across diverse functional and administrative boundaries.
- Demonstrated success in working in a range of research environments and across a breadth of AT projects.
- Experience in staff performance evaluation; coaching, performance management, development and administration of individual development plans within an organization framework.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Ability to coordinate innovative research project activities across diverse scientific, professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate research plans, drivers, and progress to project leaders, research managers and technical partners.
- Ability to successfully cultivate an effective team environment and promote the full engagement of team members across disciplines at all levels.
- Project planning and tracking in an interdisciplinary and multifunctional context.
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Create Edge: capability to build a culture of innovation and lead change
- Liberate Potential: capability to develop people and collaborate across boundaries
- Drive Results: focus on project delivery and management for optimal performance
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Performance Orientation;
_Achieves targeted performance through others
_Ensures plans with resources, milestones, measures
- Customer Orientation;
_Successfully builds networks with customers, colleagues and stakeholders
- Change Orientation:
_Evidence of continuous improvement and development
_Does not immediately accept current or 1st option
_Sets clear, high, achievable standards and goals
_Checks progress, confronts problems directly
- Organizational Effectiveness:
_Thinks through potential impact of actions on others
_Communicates effectively with key stakeholders
- Strategic Ability:
_Thinks outside the box - finds novel solutions
- Must be able to deal effectively with organizational complexity and ambiguity
Excellent networking skills and ability to motivate people without line management responsibility.
- Travel requirements - Domestic and international travel is required on a periodic basis to internal project and company meetings, to potential and existing collaborators and to relevant scientific or technical conferences and meetings.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.