See More Jobs From Syngenta
Location: - (Woodland, California, West United States, USA)
Open Til: 16-Apr-12
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Agronomy
Career Type: General
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Send This Job To A Friend
Division: R&D (Crops)
State/Province: California [CA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Plant Scientist 2
Job ID: 2813
- Initiate, develop and execute research and development strategies with a view toward strengthening the production pipeline for assigned species, namely orange flesh melon varieties for global markets.
- Responsible for coordinating line development for the in-bred portion of the company's endosperm conversion processes, as well as the screening and testing of herbicide resistant lines.
- Work with molecular breeding team in gene/QTL discovery and development of genetic marker. Develop research plan, design experiments, outline research procedures to be followed in the breeding program.
- Conduct and evaluate disease screening activities in collaboration with Plant Pathologist.
- Plan and manage a portfolio of projects within an allotted budget for the breeding program while managing effectively the breeding program resources.
- Manage and train 2 Assistant Plant Scientists under supervision.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD degree in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Horticultural Sciences, Plant Pathology or a related discipline plus two (2) years of experience in the offered position or as a Research Assistant, Plant Scientist or related agricultural research occupation.
- Full term of experience must include: plant breeding experience with a cucurbit crop, use of molecular markers in plant breeding, an understanding of quantitative genetics, knowledge of cucurbit pathology, cucurbit growing cultural practices and taste and flavor trait knowledge and working with quantitative traits.
- Must be able to work under adverse field conditions in the Open Field.