See More Jobs From Schillinger Genetics, Inc.
Location: - (Grinnell, Iowa, Mid-West United States, USA)
Company: Navita Premium Feed Ingredients, Inc.
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Feed
Career Type: Researcher/Scientist
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: N/A
Salary: Based on Experience
Send This Job To A Friend
This position will be a lead scientist in the combining of the art of soybean breeding with integration of the science of molecular biology and genetics. Responsibilities will include supporting variety development primarily for the Northern Cornbelt region and the incorporation of molecular mapping technology in more efficient selection of critical genotypes.
A major aspect of this position is the altering of soybean compositional traits to align grain composition with aqua and livestock nutritional needs.
- Development of soybean varieties with key factors for improved grain composition for feed and food applications.
- Use of molecular mapping in improving selection process.
- Lead effort of integrating molecular mapping technology in research program.
- Recommend ways and methods to improve program efficiencies in selection of key nutritional factors.
- Manage field nurseries to allow for wise selection of lines to advance.
- Work with yield testing team to assure best results are achieved for line and product advancement.
- Communication with staff, farmers and customers must be productive.
- Use computer software systems to manage effectively data base.
- Recommends and supports with sufficient data the advancement of new lines and products.
- Coordinate with aqua nutritionist to develop and identify new soybean varieties to significantly improve aquafeed performance.
- Assure safety of staff.
- Develop soybean varieties with compositional contents desired in feed or food applications and with yields to keep customers coming back to the company.
- Develop efficient and accurate molecular mapping protocols to improve breeding program.
- Train research staff in the effective use of molecular markers and custom software systems.
- Key research targets (most involving molecular markers) are:
- High protein
- High protein _ low raffino-stachyose
- High protein _ low raffino-stachyose + low Trypsin inhibitor
- Lipoxygenase null plus above
- P-28 and P-34 allergin null plus above
- Oleic acid (75%) + low linolenic (2%) + high protein
Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of efficiently developing new soybean varieties
- Familiar with use of molecular markers in soybean breeding.
- Knowledge of soybean compositional traits that affect animal nutrition.
- Basic knowledge of soybean variety development.
- Computer literate.
- Good communicator.
- Team player.
- Ph.D in Genetics and Molecular Mapping
- Agricultural background