See More Jobs From ACDI/VOCA - International
Location: - (Juba, Sudan)
Industry Sector: Agribusiness
Industry Type: Crop
Career Type: Director
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum Years Experience Required: 5
Send This Job To A Friend
Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has 80 projects in 36 countries and revenues of approximately $168 million.
Agricultural Production Director, South Sudan
ACDI/VOCA is currently seeking a long term Agriculture Production Director for the FARM (Food, Agribusiness and Rural Markets) program, a current five-year, USAID-funded project in South Sudan. The program is designed to increase agricultural productivity in selected commodities, increase trade, and improve the capacity of producers, private sector and public sector actors in South Sudan to develop commercial smallholder agriculture. The FARM program fosters economic growth to reduce poverty and food insecurity by improving the competitiveness of staple food value chains (maize, sorghum, cassava and groundnuts) in which large numbers of smallholders participate.
The Agricultural Production Director position is based in Juba and provides leadership to the technical implementation of Component 1: Increase Agricultural Productivity. The goal of this component is to encourage the adoption of improved agronomic practices and better technologies in value chains in order to improve agricultural productivity and increase farmer incomes. Key objectives include the adoption of improved production technologies by farmers and cooperatives, improved public and private service provision that supports agricultural production, and improved producer organization management skills.
- Identify productivity constraints for maize, sorghum, groundnut and cassava and promote input packages including use of inputs such as improved seeds, fertilizers, and crop protection chemicals as well as best practice production techniques that address these constraints.
- Design innovative and localized strategies to facilitate smallholder farmers’ adoption of improved inputs, with a focus on recognizing the positive return on investment.
- Conduct farmer field schools, demonstration plots and other knowledge-sharing forums to train farmers and cooperatives in best practice production techniques.
- Provide training and mentoring to develop the capacity of country-level extension workers and emerging input retailers on promoting technology packages.
- Manage regional agricultural production coordinators (3) to achieve component outcomes.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working on agricultural development and competiveness projects.
- Master’s degree in relevant agriculture/agronomy technical field.
- Demonstrated understanding of the value chain approach, ideally in an African context.
- Experience with production and post-harvest handling a plus.
- Experience implementing activities in large, complex projects in challenging environments.
- Fluency in English required.
Please apply online by clicking "Apply to this Position" below. No phone calls please. Only finalists contacted. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EOE.